Lee van der Voo is an independent journalist based in Portland, Oregon, focused on enterprise and investigative journalism. Her work has appeared in The New York Times, High Country News, The Atlantic.com, Slate, CNN and others. She is Managing Director of InvestigateWest, the Seattle and Portland-based nonprofit journalism studio.
Lee's upcoming book about sustainable seafood and fishing communities is The Fish Market and will be released on November 15, 2016 by Palgrave St. Martins.
- Food Fight Pits Iconic Halibut Against Exports, Fast Food. Dec. 11, 2014. InvestigateWest, Tacoma News-Tribune, Alaska Dispatch.
- The Big Fish Win Again. June 13, 2014. Slate.
- Catch-22. May 2014. Oregon Business Magazine.
- Tanks for Everything. April 2014. The Magazine.
- How America's Fish Councils Balance Investors with Players and Prices. Jan. 4, 2014. Alicia Patterson Foundation.
- Alaska's Unexpected Catch in Catch Share. December 2013. High Country News.
- Fish 2.0: A Contest Seeks to Foster a More Sustainable Seafood Industry. Nov. 25, 2013. Environment 360.
- Spoils of the Sea Elude Many in Alaska Antipoverty Plan. June 18, 2013. New York Times and InvestigateWest.
- Sharecroppers of the Sea. Jan. 9, 2013. Seattle Weekly and InvestigateWest.